Meal Prep Sundays – Fiesta Slow Cooker Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bowl
I have enjoyed using this blog as an opportunity to share all about my life as a runner. I have shared the ups and downs through many of my training cycles. While I love opening up, being vulnerable, and sharing both my successes and challenges as I runner, I want to continue to keep my content fresh and beneficial to all.
I love running. I think that’s been made pretty clear at this point, but let me open up about another passion in my life.
Picture this. It’s 7am. On a Sunday. There is no alarm clock, but I am instantly awake. Why you ask? It’s Sunday and the grocery store is calling my name. I absolutely love the process of shopping for my weekly groceries and cooking my meals for the week. I love being prepped and fully prepared so that, no matter what, I know I can stay on track with my nutrition during the week. Yes, there are weeks when I don’t have time for it, but over the past year or so, I have really set my mind on making meal prep a priority in my life. Food is what fuels us as hungry runners right?
I have many memories being a kid and watching endless hours of food network and knowing every single chef’s name, TV show and their specialty. When we would go to my grandparents’ lake house or on a random Sunday morning, I was always honored at the task of being the designated pancake maker. Yes, I would sometimes take my work too seriously, and stress over the unavoidable awful first batch, but I loved cooking/baking.
Today, I get so excited googling recipes, sifting through Pinterest, or simply coming up with creative ideas on my own. To give you a better idea, I will try to make a habit of sharing some of my favorites on here. Let’s take a look at what I concocted this past weekend.
I have gotten into the habit of making countless bowls of zucchini noodles with my Kitchen Aid mixer “zoodle” attachment, but this week I wanted to try out an old favorite, spaghetti squash. So here’s what you need
- 1-2 lbs. of chicken breasts (based off of your needs; I used about 1.7 lbs.)
- Chicken broth
- 1 medium/large spaghetti squash
- 1 jar of salsa of your choice (Trader Joe’s Garlic Chipotle Salsa shown here and it was delicious!)
- 3 bell peppers (whichever colors you’d like but I recommend a variety)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 can black beans
- 1 pkg. baby bella mushrooms
- Guacamole (Trader Joe’s “Reduced Guilt” Guacamole shown here and it’s one of my favorites)
- Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning (or any other “taco-type” seasoning of your choice)
- Cilantro to top each bowl
- Add chicken to slow cooker along with 1/2 jar of salsa, 1/4 cup of chicken broth, and a few shakes of Mrs. Dash
- Turn on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours
- Turn on your oven to 400 degrees
- While you wait on the oven to preheat, chop your peppers and onion
- Spray pan with olive oil cooking spray
- Place onions & peppers on pan and add a few shakes of Mrs. Dash
- Cut spaghetti squash in half long lengthwise (be careful during this step!)
- Scrape out the seeds and place face down on a sheet pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray or spread oil
- Once the oven is ready, place both in the oven and set to 30 minutes
- In a small sauce pan, add the can of black beans and the remainder of the jar of salsa (you can ass less salsa if you prefer and add to the dish at the end if you’d like)
- Cook on low and allow to simmer 10-15 minutes
- Check the peppers, onions and spaghetti squash after 30 minutes
- Peppers should be done and ready to take out
- Flip the spaghetti squash over so it is face up on the pan for an additional 20 minutes
- Once the spaghetti squash is done, allow to cool and scrape out the inside.
- Then it’s the fun part! — Assemble your “Fiesta Slow Cooker Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bowl” (Don’t forget to add a dollop of guacamole and a little chopped cilantro)
- Enjoy! 🙂
If you try this recipe, let me know in the comments section. Also, let me know if you have ideas on how to make this even better!